Monday, July 20, 2009

HOT TIME

Hola, its 95 degrees at 7 P.M. and I am kickin it in the sweet sweet air conditioning after a long hot harvest day. Today we harvested about 12 lbs of Salad mix and more edible flowers than we have ever harvested as we have been selling out the last few markets and getting a lot of positive feedback about how yummy it is. We also harvested about 50 heads of lettuce, which will probably be melted by 10 A.m. but I had to get them out before they bolt. Kale and Chard is still on the menu, and struggling through these hot times. Most of my Kale is going to seed and my chard is under assult always from cucumber beetles and leaf miner. I just planted out more of these things though, so that should help. I have beets and will keep having lots of beets from now till the end of time because they are easy to germinate and grow and sell fabulously. Onions are coming out of my wazoo. Leeks are also plentiful but they might as well be up my wazoo because they aren't selling worth a damn. The taters I'm pulling up are beautiful, I have six different varieties, all different shapes, colors, and flavors. Eggplants are coming on, I have a few for market tomorrow. Tomatos are ripening up. There was one tomato in particular that has been this huge green monster for weeks now, it's constant greenness a has been a particular annoyance. Finally, it turned red today and I was happy. And that is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment